All Access Soccer


Jim Curtin is without a doubt one of the most likeable guys, not just in the MLS but period.   However,  his club and many think Curtin himself are simply not getting it done.  Since entering the league, Philly has had high hopes and even higher expectations.  The first manager in club history was sacked because the organization felt he was seeking International opportunities in addition to not meeting expectations.  The extremely popular with players and fans John Hackworth, a players coach comes in and meets the same fate.  Jim Curtin is now at the helm and the results have been less than impressive.  While the club has had small bursts of success, they appear to be on a serious decline.

Many thought when Ernie Stewart was brought in, things were looking up.  Instead, most insiders who wish to remain anonymous, simply say Stewart was brought in because Curtin did not possess what it took to advance the club.   Whether this is true or not, the results under Curtin are simply not acceptable to a top flight club who has spent several hundred million dollars on infrastructure, academy training facilities and one of the best stadiums in the MLS.  Fans are showing their displeasure by not coming to home games and players talk behind closed doors like the end may be near.  Needing a victory today on the road in New York, the Union fell short again.

For nearly 80 minutes, it looked like New York City FC’s tough week would continue on Saturday.

NYCFC entered the final 10 minutes of their match against Philadelphia trailing 1-0, but answered with a pair of late set-piece goals to rebound from their loss at Atlanta United on Sunday and home draw against the New England Revolution on Wednesday with a 2-1 win against the Union at Yankee Stadium.

Maxime Chanot brought the hosts level in the 80th minute, beating Union defender Richie Marquez to a Maxi Moralez corner kick and heading home inside the left post. Defender Alexander Callens bagged the winner five minutes later, tapping home a rebound after Andre Blake stopped a David Villa shot.

Fafa Picault put the Union ahead in the 69th minute, racing onto a CJ Sapong through ball. Both sides nearly found the back of the net on several other occasions. NYCFC hit the woodwork twice, while Union substitute Roland Alberg hit the post with an 82nd minute free kick. contributed to this piece

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *